at a glance
- A heritage 140 years strong: company founded on May 10, 1876 in Indianapolis, Indiana.
- Founder Colonel Eli Lilly was a pharmacist and US Civil War veteran frustrated by the poorly prepared, often ineffective medicines of his day.
- A research collaboration in the 1920s between Eli Lilly and Company and Dr. Frederick Banting and Charles Best resulted in the first available insulin treatment for diabetes and led to the establishment of Eli Lilly Canada in 1938.
- Headquarters located in Indianapolis, Indiana, U.S.A.
- Approximately 41,000 employees worldwide
- Nearly 400 employees across Canada in the pharmaceutical division
- Clinical research conducted in more than 55 countries
- Research and development facilities located in six countries
- Manufacturing plants located in 13 countries
- Products marketed in 120 countries